Not really someone that was predicted, but then again, most mock drafts don't take into consideration "signability." From everything I can find, he's a power hitting third baseman/outfielder that projects as an outfielder in the majors. He has some speed and a plus arm, but make no mistake, he was drafted for his power. He had a 3 HR performance in a State Tournament game last season and holds most every power number record at his school, though from what I understand, his league isn't all that impressive. Think Ryan Howard, in the outfield. 19 HRs, .562AVG in 30 games and only 8 Ks this year. I like the pick simply because they needed to go with a position player here. Their farm system was lacking in power OF bats. I'd still look for middle infield and catching help over the next few rounds. But overall, the Phillies have something like 48 picks left, so there's plenty of time to shop around.
Here's a host of scouting reports:
- The Valdosta Daily Times has a great report on his skills from a few months ago.
- DraftSite.com had him projected as the #53 overall pick
- Baseball Scoutz had him as the #2 overall High School player last winter.
- Baseball America is the only place around noting that he's committed to Georgia for football.
- Phuture Phillies compiles even more info and links on Greene